The mission of Crown Point is to demonstrate the practical applications of ecology and to connect spirituality, social justice and environmental protection.
The vision of Crown Point is to be a role model for food security and sustainable land use, through farm stewardship, advocacy, education and collaboration.
Our Core Values
Crown Point expresses its mission through organic agriculture and environmental education programs that integrate four core values — Community, Justice, Spirituality and Sustainability.
The Crown Point Community participates in furthering the common good with our brothers and sisters and all natural systems. We seek mutually beneficial relationships that foster dignity and responsible action on behalf of all life.
A few Crown Point programs that promote the principle of community include:
- Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA)– shares of the harvest offered to members for purchase in January and pickup throughout the growing season
- Taste of Earth annual celebration and fundraiser
- First Fruits Initiative – An array of food security efforts including: donations of organic produce; donations of garden plants to community groups; Summit Food Policy Coalition engagement; and Farm to School educational programming
- Youth Service Learning Projects – Eagle Scouts, classroom field trips, student volunteers
- Opportunities to gather and share in the joys of nature.
Crown Point supports Justice for the human-Earth community by reaching out to the poor and voiceless and advocating for environmental restoration. Crown Point programs that promote the principle of justice include:
- Pioneering policy and activism through the Summit Food Policy Coalition, to rebuild the local food system and to provide for healthy food access for all area residents
- Donating thousands of pounds of organic food to feed the hungry
- Pioneering CSA-shares for area families using the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and other food assistance payment methods
- Providing scholarships to families in need to participate in our Summer Farm and Science Camp and other youth programs
- Collaborating with area hunger relief agencies for nutrition education and cooking demos
- Growing organic plants to donate for community gardens in neighborhoods, churches, community centers
- Welcoming all who care for the Earth to engage with us.
The Spirituality of Crown Point is grounded in the Catholic Dominican tradition with its dedication to truth and preaching. Crown Point’s interfaith emphasis makes its programs open to all who share the commitment of restoring and preserving our planet. Crown Point programs that promote the principle of spirituality include:
- Seasonal celebrations; facility rentals for group retreats
- Meadow labyrinth, hikes and guided walks
- Educating youth on organic farming, ecology, and understanding where food comes from.
- Five miles of walking trails
- Dances of Universal Peace
- Quiet space for reflection
In the practice of Sustainability, Crown Point models how to live lightly on the Earth, neither depleting its resources, nor causing environmental impacts that will imperil future generations and their needs. Living to renew, rather than to destroy, the Earth – Crown Point promotes the principle of sustainability through: